In between my Depeche Mode and Pixies catalog deep dives, I’ve also heard some other songs and albums that have really peaked my interest. Some of these bands you might have heard before as they were featured on Audioeclectica and others will probably be new to you. Either way, these songs and albums have been on a constant rotation and deserve your attention. So check these out!
01) A Light Within– Meteroic Fires: This band is rad. I’ve been a fan for some time. Each new release shows this band evolving their sound and reaching new heights. This new song is a bit of a departure from their more prog driven rock. on “Meteoric Fires,” A Light Within finds balance between their love of prog rock by incorporating tighter arrangements and delving a bit more into a “space rock” territory a la Shiner or Hum. Really look forward to what else is to come from this band!
02) Common Wounds– Hit Or Miss: I’m totally enthralled with this band. I love it. You know that feeling that you get when you are looking for something to listen to and then you hear something that immediately grabs your attention? Well that’s what Common Wounds did to me. This new track “Hit or Miss” is most definitely a HIT! It’s got all the things you’d want in a post-hardcore band and song. Common Wounds is a band that I really look forward to hearing more from. Their EP comes out soon and I highly recommend you taking the time to listen to it and let it take over!
03) Lived In– Gone By: I love a good rock band. Just a no frills rock band armed with guitars, bass, drums and vocals. Recently I was introduced to this band Lived In and I’ve been really digging on them. They have the 90’s alt rock sound down and it doesn’t sound dated instead it feels and sounds fresh and lively. This band is another that I have on my radar and look forward to what else they do.
04) Deathgrave– Your Rulers Are Here: Heavy music is my and Deathgrave are definitely one that I’ve had my ear to the ground with for a bit. This track is heavy as it is absolutely crushing and delivers one hell of a punch. The video that accompanies it is quite fun too. Deathgrave are one of those bands that are a bit against the grain but worth every second of you listening!
05) Object Of Affection– Run Back: I recently heard this band and I found myself really digging on them. There is so much to this band that I haven’t had the chance to peel it all back yet. When you listen you pick up on bits of new wave, post punk, synthwave and then some. This song “Run Back” is a really solid example of all these genres mixed together to create something that is a bit more than meets the ear or eye. It’s music that seeps in and grabs you. Their upcoming album Field of Appearances was meticulously crafted with Grammy-nominated producer Alex Newport (who you might know from Nailbomb as well as producing and recording The Mars Volta’s Tremulant EP). Definitely give this a listen!
06) Form Rank– Sirens: Punk Rock has had a lot of variations over the years but, those that understand what it really is have held the flag for those that truly get it. One band that understands that ever so well is Form Rank. This band has a bit of an 80’s metallica hardcore edge to it with hooks and grit to stand apart from a lot of the others in the genre. Form Rank are one of those bands that will have your foot tapping, head bobbing and quite possibly singing along rather quick! Keep your eye out for Form Rank when they come through your town.
07) Stronger Than Machines– Undivided EP: Stronger Than Machines are fast becoming one of my new favorite bands. I’ve had the pleasure of booking them twice now for Cobalt Presents shows and each time they have played they have absolutely come in and owned the stage and decimated all that came before them and after. Their EP, Undivided is a heavy yet melodic trip. The 6 songs that are a part of this EP are a walloping punch to the gut. The unrelenting ferociousness of this band is infectious and each time you see them, you find yourself drawn in more and more. Stronger Than Machines are another band that I really look forward to seeing more and hearing what else they do. What a band!
08) Know//Suffer– Winter Two Piece EP: Another band that I was recently introduced to and I dig it. I love when you hear a band and at first you don’t know what to think quite yet, then you put it on again and it all clicks. Know//Suffer is one of those bands that might take a minute but once it hits, you know that you don’t want it to end. It’s heavy and brutal in ways that explore hardcore, sludge, post metal and even bits of black metal. If you are into heavy music, Know//Suffer is for you!
09) Mast Year– Knife & In Tandem from their upcoming album, Knife: I came across this band today and I’m glad I did. Mast Year is a post-hardcore/noise rock band that add a bit more to their sound. The additions of intriguing rhythms and ambient turns as well as a sludgey aspect make Mast Year stand out amongst their peers. It doesn’t have to be all dark and dreary and Mast Year gives that bit of light to shine through it!
10) Bleed The Sky featuring Mark Hunter- The Parasite: Bleed The Sky are back!!! I used to really dig this band way back. Now in 2023 they are kicking up quite a stir with their new singer and this new track. Plus having Chimaira’s Mark Hunter on the track gives it even more bite. Glad to hear Mark still has those vocals! Looking forward to what else Bleed The Sky has coming up! They were always a solid band with a great live show!