Florida’s New Cathedral has been riding high since the release of their EP Ghost. After playing shows with Torche and He Is Legend, they band got back in the studio to record their follow up. The first song they’ve released “No Saints or Angels” picks up where Ghost left off, and adds a bit more melody.
In no particular order (wait till the end of the year for that). These are the best albums I’ve heard all year!
1. Mastodon- Once More Round The Sun
2. Every Time I Die- From Parts Unknown
3. Chevelle- La Gargola
4. Seether- Isolate and Medicate
5. Sevendust- Time Travelers and Bonfires
6. Crosses- Crosses
7. Royal Blood- Out Of The Black EP
8. Against Me- Transgender Dysphoria Blues
9. And We Are Them- Align
10. Wild Throne- Blood Maker
11. New Cathedral- Ghost
12. Machines Learning- Machines Learning
13. He Whose Ox Is Gored- Nightshade EP
14. With Our Arms To The Sun- A Far Away Wonder
15. Black Map- Driver EP
16. Royal Blood- Royal Blood
17. The Last Internationale- We Will Reign
18. Wovenwar- Wovenwar
19. And We Are Them- City Of Ghosts
20. Obliterations- Poison Everything
21. Black Map- And We Explode
22. Bush- Man On The Run
23. Slipknot- .5 The Gray Chapter
24. Aeges- Above and Down Below
Melody and rhythm are the driving forces of music. When done properly the combination of the two brings out something special. Tampa, Florida’s New Cathedral have managed to do just that. Their new E.P. entitled Ghost has the right amount of melody and passion behind it’s songs. This four piece has a sweet blend of sweeping clean guitars, heavy crunchy bass and subtle thumping drums. Vocally they are able to capture the passion of the lyrics. The conviction in which they play with is undeniable. Songs like “Holy Ghost,” “Emerald Eyes,” and “Wolves” have a more hard rock vibe to them while “Stay” shows the more delicate nature of the band without taking away from their hard edge.
New Cathedral have what it takes to make an impact on many people. Their sound is accessible yet still maintains the integrity of what melodic hard rock should be. A lot of the radio rock bands that are out there should take a page from New Cathedral and play with honesty and heart.